MSc Mixed Mode Programme
Master of Science (Molecular Medicine)
The MSc (Molecular Medicine) Mixed mode programme was first introduced by INFORMM in 2017. The curriculum was first revised in 2022 following the current MQF 2.0 guidelines by MQA.
The programme aims to provide a strong fundamental understanding of the field of molecular medicine through comprehensive lectures and practical, hands-on experience in research and entrepreneurial aspects of the biomedical field. The programme has an emphasis on translational research with a focus on biomarker discovery and the development of diagnostics, vaccines or therapeutics for the market.
The programme consists of three semesters. In the first semester, candidates will undertake core courses. In the second semester, students can select a research- or an industry-focused pathway allowing them to customize learning that will be relevant towards their career goals. A research project in the specialized area will begin in the second semester continuing into the third semester that will be solely dedicated to research. The program will focus on student-centered learning which incorporate individual and group assignments, practical sessions, ‘problem-based learning’, ‘e-learning’, seminar presentations, field trips and others.
Programme Educational Objective (PEO)
The aim of this programme is to produce skilled researchers in the field of molecular medicine who will be able to have outstanding careers in research institutions or industries. To achieve this, the Programme Educational Objective (PEO) of this programme is designed to produce molecular medicine researchers who:
- Are able to apply knowledge and research skills to continue their studies at the doctor of philosophy level or as entrepreneurs in the field of biomedicine.
- Have high knowledge and skills in applying the latest technology theoretically and practically, knowledgeable in compliance requirements in the laboratory and business management.
- Have knowledge, management, communication and leadership skills suitable for application in the national education system or the biomedical industry.
- Are knowledgeable in legal and regulatory aspects of molecular medicine research and industry, as well as able to compete at the national and international level.
- Are able to contribute to the development of science and business, towards the well-being of society.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)
At the end of this programme, students will be able to :
|PLO USM||PLO Domain||Description|
|PLO 1||C -Knowledge and Understanding||Master current knowledge and understanding in the field of molecular medicine.|
|PLO 2||P- Practical Skills||Exhibit competence and good practical skills when conducting research.|
|PLO 3||C- Cognitive Skills||Analyze research findings and able to solve problems effectively.|
|PLO 4||A - Communication Skills||Demonstrate the ability to present and defend research confidently and effectively.|
|PLO 5||A - Interpersonal Skills||Demonstrate the ability to work in groups and collaborate with others in carrying out research and have good social ethics.|
|PLO 6||A - Ethics and Professionalism||Comply with safety rules and instructions and maintain principles, professionalism and ethics while undertaking coursework and research.|
|PLO 7||A - Personal Skills||Demonstrate high motivation in exploring new knowledge, manages research projects well and meticulous in organizing information.|
|PLO 8||A - Entrepreneurial Skills||Demonstrate good ability in managing business and entrepreneurship.|
|PLO 9||A - Leadership, Autonomy and Responsibility||Demonstrate a responsible attitude, leadership abilities and cooperation when conducting research and coursework, has sound decision-making skills.|
|PLO10||C,P,A - Digital Skills||Analyze data and research findings using various digital technologies and software.|
|PLO11||C - Numeracy Skills||Use appropriate statistical and analytical methods to ensure the validity of the study’s findings.|
In the first semester all students will take four compulsory courses, as listed below:
Semester I (12 units)
TFM501: Molecular Basis of Diseases
TFM522: Diagnostic Technologies & Biological Markers Discovery
TFM503: Vaccines & Novel Therapeutics
In the second semester, students will choose to either follow the ‘Industry’ or ‘Research’ pathway. The courses in each pathway are listed below:
Semester II (8 units)
TFM505: Managing a Biomedical-based Business
TFM506: Technology Management & Intellectual Property
TFM507: Regulations & Quality Management Systems for the Biomedical Industry
TFM508: Project Management in Research
TFM529: Current Trends in “Omics”
TFM530: Current Trends in Molecular Medicine Research
Additional course in Semester II & III (27 units)
TRX500: Research Methodology in Medicine and Health Sciences
Bachelor degree (Honours)
A) CGPA of ≥ 2.75 in related field
B) CGPA of 2.50 - 2.74 with Research experience – 1 year;
OR, Professional experience in related field – 1 year;
OR, One (1) academic publication (journal, not proceeding(s)) in related field;
OR, Grade B for major/ elective courses;
OR, Grade B+ for final year project.
Language Requirement (For International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 35 for TOEFL (Internet-based); or https://www.ets.org/
- A minimum of Band 5 for IELTS; or https://www.ielts.org/
- A minimum score of 36 for PTE; or https://pearsonpte.com/
- A minimum score of 154 for CAE/CPE https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/
Exemption is given to a candidate with:
- English is the candidate’s mother tongue or National Language; or
- Candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction at Bachelor and/or Master degree level is English; or
- English courses from selected Malaysian public/private university or institution. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses should be previously identified and approved by the University Postgraduate Studies Council).
- Full-time: 3 semesters (up to a maximum of 6 semesters)
- Part-time: 6 semesters (up to a maximum of 12 semesters)
- *Note: Classes involve part-timers are conducted on weekdays (after working hours)
- Malaysian applicants: RM 18, 360
- International applicants: USD 7, 340
*Effective from Semester 1, Academic Session 2022/2023
(Fees shown here are only for the programme and does not include registration and other student fees)
Website: https://admission.usm.my or https://informm.usm.my
Find out more about the course through our alumni's testimonials.