Research Internship in Molecular Medicine
The research internship (akin to the ‘Latihan Industri’ or industrial training attachment) at INFORMM is designed to nurture the interest of undergraduate students in research in molecular medicine. Postgraduate students are also welcomed to apply. The program has two components – first, a hands-on laboratory attachment where students will be trained in current laboratory techniques, and second, a weekly lecture in specialized areas of research. While the hands-on practicals serve to familiarize students with groundwork that drives research, the lectures will provide a theoretical framework towards the understanding of scientific research. Interns will be working alongside postgraduate students in the supervisors’ respective areas of research. We encourage students to take full advantage of the opportunities offered by this program to enhance their academic experience and expand their research horizons. We hope you will have a productive internship and an enjoyable time on USM campus.
To join the internship, please apply using this: Research Internship Application Form
The application is open throughout the year, and you will be notified within a month from the date of application if you are accepted.
- You must be a registered student in an undergraduate Bachelor's programme in life science (e.g. BSc in Biology, Biomedicine, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Science or other or related areas) at the time of application.
- You should preferably have a CGPA of at least 2.75 and above.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the aim of the research internship?
- The research internship aims to allow you to experience first-hand what it is like to conduct research and carry out experiments at a higher level. The technical skills gained will be valuable for undergraduates who will be carrying out their final year projects or for those who wish to have a taste of doing postgraduate research in a molecular biology or biomedical related area (and wants to know if it will be worthy of their investment). Fact: A number of our interns became/is now our postgraduate students!
Will there be a stipend?
- There will not be a stipend as we can guarantee you that the experience gained will be invaluable and priceless! 'The reward of a thing well done is having done it.' — Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Will accommodation be provided?
- INFORMM do not provide accommodation as it is against the law to have beds in the labs. To find a resting place for your tired mind and bodies after a productive day’s work during your internship, please visit this page for more information: USM student hostel information page.
Can the internship be longer than the specified period?
- Yes, most supervisors will be happy to accommodate you for up to six-months. Please ask respective supervisors as it will be on a case-by-case basis. Or as they say in Japanese, ‘kēsu bai kēsu de’.
For a taste of the research internship experience, watch this video made by our 2016 intern Shazleen Sofea from Universiti Putra Malaysia:
If you have any other questions, please ask so we can add to this list.